Welcome to my blog! You can find out about the influences and random thoughts that feed my ceramic work. Comments are most welcome.

www.beverleygee.com

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Here we go ..............

The countdown is on . . . the big one . . . we are off to Japan!!!! at the end of July.  My posts leading up to departure date will show some of the memories and memorabilia I gathered last time I was there.



O-kunchi festival, Karatsu



O-kunchi is a fantastic festival in Karatsu, Kyushu.  It is an autumn festival that takes place over 3 days, usually in November.  The photos above are from the third night of the festival when teams dressed in the traditional uniforms of Edo Period (1603-1868) firefighters pull huge floats through the town.  It's a wondrous sight with lots of colour, activity and music.  A truly Japanese experience.  There was a great atmosphere in the town.  I was lucky enough to stay with some local people who invite all their friends to stay for the festival.  They put on a hugh banquet and lay countless futons out for people to sleep on.


Penguin cups - awaiting firing
Here are my new penguin cups waiting to be fired.  I'm going to take them to Japan and leave them as hidden gifts along our tourist trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment