Welcome to my blog! You can find out about the influences and random thoughts that feed my ceramic work. Comments are most welcome.

www.beverleygee.com

Tuesday 16 March 2010

The smallest gallery in the world?




Apologies for my late post. I have tried to direct my website mail through Outlook Express which sounded really easy and beneficial. Alas no, my messages are going somewhere but it's a secret place that I'm not allowed to know about! Aargh!!!! Three days trying to find out but I'm still none the wiser.

Anyway, back to the post. I have an acrylic box in my living room where I display items that I've collected on my travels and such like. Currently showing in the box are some glass cups and a decanter from the Ultima Thule series by Tapio Wirkkala. Is this box the smallest gallery in the world? I really like the work of Tapio. He had a great understanding of materials and design.

Tapio Wirkkala (Finnish designer and sculptor, 1915 – 1985)

“All materials have their own unwritten laws… You should never be violent with a material you’re working on, and the designer should aim at being in harmony with his material.”

Ultima Thule

‘An exclusive design reflecting the thousands of hours spent perfecting the glass-blowing technique required to produce the effect. This distinctive classic from the 1960s contributed to Iittala’s international breakthrough. The patterns gradually change as the glass burns the surface of the wooden moulds.’
Ref: http://www.iittala.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment