Welcome to my blog! You can find out about the influences and random thoughts that feed my ceramic work. Comments are most welcome.

www.beverleygee.com

Monday 18 October 2010

KODO!

Last night I went to see Kodo (taiko drummers from Japan) at the Bridgewater Hall. They are fantastic! If you ever get the chance to see them I recommend it. I've seen them four times now and as always I was impressed with their style, technique, imagination and stamina. Their drive and devotion to their craft is astounding and something I would like to attain with my ceramics.

'For nearly thirty years, Kodo has explored the boundless potential of the ancient Japanese drum, the taiko. Inspired by the powerful natural beauty of their home on Sado Island in the Sea of Japan, Kodo infuses traditional forms with fresh global influences to create new musical expressions that are utterly unique. Two meanings are embedded in the Japanese characters for Kodo. First, heartbeat: the primal, tender sound as heard in the womb. Second, children of the drum: reflecting Kodo's intent to play their drums simply, with the heart of a child. Since 1981, Kodo has delivered over 3,200 performances in 46 countries, becoming Japan's most acclaimed performing arts group.

Through the "One Earth Tour", Kodo will bring the sound of the drum to the ears of the world - and with the taiko's unique ability to transcend barriers of language and custom, remind us all of our membership in that larger community - the world. ' (excerpt and images taken from Kodo's website)



Thank you to those that came and supported me at Salford Museum and Art Gallery's Craft Fair. I was in the Victorian gallery which is a great backdrop to show my work in. A big thank you to the staff and organisers. They are very friendly and put on a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment